Monday, November 05, 2012

Election stress

Jackson: "We bote tomorrow at skool."

Kat: "Oh, that's exciting!"

Jackson: "No, isss my homewowk.  I habe to decide who to bote for."

Bella: "Me too, Jackson! It's going to be fun!"

Jackson sits down in the chair and looks stressed.

Kat: "Jackson, are you worried?"

Jackson: [a little teary] "YES!  We bote tomorrow!  Tonight, I habe to figger out who to bote for!  It's my hoooooomework."

Kat: "Jack, you don't have to vote. You can just not check a box on the voting paper.  You are six years old.  It's just supposed to be fun.  You don't have to know who you want for a president tomorrow."

He looked a little more relaxed.

Kat: "Do you want me to tell you a little about the two candidates and what they stand for?"

Jackson nods.

I sat him down and told him (as unbiased as I could) about the candidates and their positions on a few issues.  I asked Jackson what was most important to him.

Jackson: "I wan' to bote for da guy who will hewp take care of people who don' habe enouf, ya know?  If dey can't buy food, or toys, I wan' a president who will hewp them."

I don't know.  Maybe six year olds aren't too young to know what matters.

No comments: