Friday, March 03, 2006

Unchain My Heart...

The Ray Soundtrack is a permanant fixture in my car CD player. Isabella has to be the only 3 year old who knows EVERY word to "Hit the Road, Jack." Seriously. Even the verses. It's a must-see. The kids really enjoy the music. I hear them in the hallways of school now and then singing as they walk by my room. "...I got a woman, way over town..." Isabella has come to request one other song besides Hit the Road, Jack. Now she wants "Uhchay mah hah." (Unchain My Heart, spoken exactly as pronounced by the backup singers in the song.)

We were listening to (of course) "Hit the Road, Jack" for the one millionth time.

Maddie: "Mom, do you know what makes that noise?"

Kat: "What, Mad?"

Maddie: "A horn."

I paused. She was referring to the trumpet. My dad would be so proud that she called it a horn! I was terribly impressed.

Kat: "That's exactly right, Maddie! I'm so excited that you know that!"

Maddie: "Of course! Like the horn on my bike!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Maddie, they are HORNS. The backbone of any R&B or Funk music worth its salt. The more horns, the better(see P-Funk or Earth, Wind and Fire).