Thursday, June 29, 2006

A few first week anecdotes

*Warning- the upcoming stories include references to breastfeeding. Read at your own risk.

The day Jackson was born, Maddie became a mother. As the day wore on into the afternoon, she couldn't understand why he was still naked. I love to have my newborn babies naked and unwashed the first day, just wrapped in the softest piece of cotton flannel I can find. It's very primal. It's why people love the smell of babies heads - phremones and all that.

Maddie started to get a bit disgusted with me when the baby was still naked at suppertime.

Maddie: "Mom! WHEN are you going to put clothes on Jackson?"

Kat: "Maddie, I'm not in any rush to get him dressed. I like him like that. We'll dress him later." (It's important to be careful when you use the word later with an anxious child. They think later is about two minutes from now.)

Maddie: "Well, if I had a baby, I would put clothes on him." And she just walked away.

Later on, she was watching me nurse Jackson and was a little concerned with the quickness required to latch the baby on.

Maddie: "Mom!? Why are you doing that like that?"

Kat: "I have to move quickly to help him get latched on right while his mouth is wide open."

Maddie: "When I have a baby, I'm not going to smash his face into my breast like that." And, again, she just walked away.


Isabella was equally perplexed by watching Jackson nurse. She was astounded to see milk actually coming out. Jackson is having some trouble latching on properly, so before I nurse him each time, I am training him how to latch on properly by having him suck on my finger and training him to stick his tongue out further. Isabella came in during this training session and saw Jackson sucking on my finger.

Isabella: "Does milk come out of there, too?!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy and John - So happy for you on the birth of you beautiful son, Jackson (I love the name). All pictures are gorgeous - a reflection of your wonderful family. Great work! God bless you all!
With love,
Cathy and Ramizi Shepherd