Thursday, June 01, 2006

All set...

For those of you who are wondering - especially my crunchy granola friends - we are planning a homebirth with a CNM (certified nurse-midwife). In Indiana (unlike Ohio), CNMs are permitted to attend homebirths. Our midwife trained first with a lay midwife doing only homebirths before becoming a nurse-midwife. The best of both worlds for us - a midwife who believes in the process of birth, but who can also practice legally and transport with us to a hospital if we have an emergency!

We had our home visit today - the midwife and her assistant/nurse/doula/photographer extraordinaire came to see the house. We gave them the tour of the master suite - soon to be birthing/baby suite. I'm so happy about our bedroom on the first floor, connected to the bathroom with a big garden tub... You'd think we'd bought this house just to have a baby in.

So, supplies are purchased, baby clothes washed and folded and the midwives know how to get here! I'm 36 weeks today, which means I could really have a baby anytime after next Tuesday or so, although I expect this sweet little thing will arrive closer to the due date, like his/her siblings.

It's really hard to believe that I've reached the last month of my last pregnancy. Bittersweet, really. John has informed me that it's great that I'm so good at the pregnancy/baby having stuff, but I'm going to have to find a new hobby after his vasectomy... :)

No comments: